Hall’s Glen Transfer Station
1951 County Road 6 at Hall’s Glen
Intersection of County Road 6 and Fourth Line Road North Dummer
Hours of Operation
May 1 to October 31 (Summer Hours):
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday – 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Closed Tuesday and Thursday
November 1 to April 30 (Fall, Winter, Spring Hours):
- Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday – 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
COVID-19 – Changes to Waste Disposal
The Halls Glen Transfer Station is accepting bagged garbage, blue box recycling and food waste and as of June 2, 2020 will also be accepting loose garbage, scrap metal, scrap wood, electronic waste, propane tanks and used oil. Payment for garbage disposal is limited to debit only, the cost is $3.00 per bag of garbage or $95.00 per tonne for loads greater than 13.6 kg.
Additional protective measures against COVID-19 continue to be in place; residents are expected to maintain physical distancing measures, remain in their vehicles while waiting for access and follow the direction of Transfer Station staff at all times. Residents can expect delays when visiting the Transfer Station due to the extra precautionary measures.
Please note that mattresses and box-springs are not being accepted at this time and that the Re-Use building continues to be closed.
Regular waste disposal rules still apply:
• Clear bags are required for garbage disposal – each bag is limited to 0.06 cubic metres (2 cubic feet) and 18.1 kg (40 lbs)
• Blue box material needs to be sorted appropriately (containers vs. fibres)
• Only food waste allowed in the Moloks (no yard waste, packaging or bags of any kind)
Curbside garbage must be bagged and tied securely shut before it is set out for curbside collection to protect the health and safety of curbside garbage collection teams. This measure will help prevent the accidental contact of COVID-19 infected garbage with members of the curbside garbage collection teams. Residents are encouraged to use curbside waste collection as much as possible.
Curbside blue box recycling must be placed loose in blue boxes, sorted into fibres and containers, and be out by 7:00 a.m. on collection day. Bagged recycling is not permitted, with the exception of bagged film plastic and shredded paper.
Brush, leaf and yard waste in Donwood will be collected at the curb starting May 10th – please visit the Peterborough County Recycling and Garbage webpage for details. Douro-Dummer residents can use the leaf, brush and yard waste bin at the Warsaw Public Works Depot or dispose of the waste at either the Peterborough Waste Management Facility at 1260 Bensfort Road (tipping fees may apply, contact the Peterborough Waste Management Facility for details ) or Waste Connection of Canada facility at 348 County Road 6 (tipping fees will apply at Waste Connections of Canada).
Environmental and household hazardous waste events have been cancelled in Douro-Dummer for 2020.
Do not put hazardous waste in the garbage. Household hazardous waste can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot at 400 Pido Road.
Re-use and textile bins are temporarily closed. Please take donations to appropriate drop-off locations or businesses accepting clothing and textile donations.
Clear Garbage Bag Program
- Both curbside collection and transfer station drop-offs must be made using clear garbage bags,
- Garbage bags may not contain any recyclable, compostable, or hazardous materials. These materials must instead be directed toward the appropriate recycling, composting, or hazardous material program and
- One (1) grocery sized privacy bag is allowed in each clear bag to conceal items that residents wish to keep private.
Bags not conforming to these requirements will not be collected at the curb or accepted at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station. Size limits continue to apply: maximum weight of a bag 18.1 kg (40 lbs) and maximum size is 0.06 cubic meters (2 cubic feet). Please see the Clear Garbage Bag Program Quick Guide (717KB) and 2017-50 – Collection and Disposal of Waste By-law (pdf – 133KB) for more details.
To handle compostable material, Composters (pdf – 240KB) and Digesters (pdf – 212KB) are available for sale from both the County of Peterborough and the Township of Douro-Dummer. Inexpensive Do-It-Yourself compost bins (pdf – 714KB) can also be made from readily available materials. You can help speed up the composting process by following tips found here (819KB).
A list of Frequently Asked Questions (pdf – 232KB) is also available. If you have more questions or need clarification please contact us.
Environmental and Household Hazardous Waste Events
Events have been cancelled in Douro-Dummer due to COVID-19. Please consider taking material to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot.
General Information Regarding Environmental and Household Hazardous Waste Events:
The County of Peterborough and the Township of Douro-Dummer typically host Household Hazardous Waste Events at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station during the spring, summer and fall. The Hall’s Glen Transfer Station is located at 1951 County Road 6, Douro-Dummer.
Please store all materials in their original containers and store in a cool dry place until you can bring them to us. We can only accept household material in containers up to 20L/5gal.
Accepted items include:
- Automotive fluids
- Batteries of all kinds
- Cleaners of all kinds
- Cosmetics and make-up
- Fluorescent light tubes and bulbs
- Gasoline (containers will not be returned)
- Glues and caulking
- Hot tub chemicals
- Ink cartridges
- Mercury containing devices
- Motor oil (containers will not be returned)
- Oil filters
- Paints and coatings
- Propane cylinders (50kg/100lbs maximum)
- Sealants and stains
The following will not be accepted at these events:
- Bio-medical waste
- Commercial hazardous waste
- Explosives (including firecrackers and ammunition)
- Pharmaceuticals (return these to a pharmacy)
- Sharps and needles (return these to a pharmacy)
Environment Days and Household Hazardous Waste Events are open to all County Residents. Please visit the event that best fits your schedule and recycling needs. Due to a high turn out for these events, please anticipate a short wait to access the Transfer Station. No out-of-township garbage will be accepted at the events.
For full details about this event including dates, times, locations and accepted items please visit the County of Peterborough Waste Management website.
Regular Re-Use and Recycle Programs
Waste collected free of charge all year long at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station includes:
- Batteries – up to 5 kg (11 lbs)
- Blue box recycling materials
- Electronics and electrical recycling – accepting any item that could be plugged in, run by a battery or by solar power Information Regarding Privacy and Electronic Waste (pdf – 31KB)
- Kitchen compost (organics)
- Motor oil
- Propane tanks
- Re-usable textiles (temporarily closed)
- Tires – rims must be removed, tires on rims will not be accepted
Brush, Leaf and Yard Waste Not Accepted at Hall’s Glen Transfer Station
Please visit the Recycling and Composting page for more information.
Materials weighing less than 30 lbs. (13.6 kg.) $3.00
Materials weighing more than 30 lbs. (13.6 kg.) $95.00 per tonne
Appliances containing Freon have a $15.00 surcharge in addition to per tonne rate
Replacement Transfer Station Card $25.00
Mattresses and boxsprings are not being accepted at this time.
Bag Tags (each) $3.00
Waste materials include everything brought to the site for disposal, including recyclable materials, garbage bags with affixed tags, and those other items specifically listed above.
All waste must be separated. Failure to use clear bags and separate waste will result in denial of access to the site.
Construction and demolition waste (specifically shingles and drywall) are not accepted at the Hall’s Glen Transfer Station. Contractors and residents must transport construction and demolition waste directly to either:
- Peterborough Waste Management Facility:
- 1260 Bensfort Road
- Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Waste Connection of Canada
- 348 County Road 6
- Monday – Friday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tipping fees will apply at both locations.
Applicable fees for individual items will be charged in addition to the per tonne rate. For example: rates for appliances with Freon will be charged in addition to the per tonne rate for the load.
**All decisions by the Transfer Station Attendant are final in all determination of tipping fees.