Livestock owners that experience damages (injury or death) to their livestock from wildlife may be eligible for some compensation for the value of the livestock.

When a livestock owner experiences damages to their livestock, and want to claim compensation for the damages, they must contact the local municipality (705-652-8392 Ext 200) within 48 hours of discovering the injury or death. The municipality will send out a livestock valuer to do a full investigation. The township, based on the report from the valuer, will file a claim with the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs for compensation for the damages.

Man and woman talking in a field of cowsThe livestock owner will only be compensated once the claim is approved by the Ministry.

For a livestock owner to be eligible they must have a valid Farm Business Registration Number (FBR) and have a Premises Identification Number.

There are limits to the amount of compensation that can be claimed and the types of livestock and types of wildlife that cause the damages.

Please visit this website for more information on the program.

Damages caused by dogs are not part of this program- but may be eligible under the process under the Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Dogs Act- Information is available from the website.