CLEAR GARBAGE BAG PROGRAM
Starting January 2nd, 2018, the Township of Douro-Dummer will be implementing a Clear Garbage Bag Program. Important details about this program include:
- Both curbside collection and transfer station drop-offs must be made using clear garbage bags.
- Garbage bags may not contain any recyclable, compostable, or hazardous materials. These materials must instead be directed toward the appropriate recycling, composting, or hazardous material program.
- One (1) privacy bag is allowed in each clear bag to conceal items that residents wish to keep private.
Bags not conforming to these requirements will not be collected after the start date. Residents and businesses are encouraged to use up their opaque garbage bags before the start date. The Township of Douro-Dummer is alerting local retailers about the Clear Garbage Bag Program so that clear garbage bags will be readily available.
To handle compostable material, Composters (pdf – 240KB) and Digesters (pdf – 212KB) are available for sale from both the County of Peterborough and the Township of Douro-Dummer. Inexpensive Do-It-Yourself compost bins (pdf – 714KB) can also be made from readily available materials. You can help speed up the composting process by following tips found here (819KB).
A list of Frequently Asked Questions (pdf – 331KB) *updated January 17th, 2018* is also available, this list changes as new questions are asked so please check back periodically. If you have more questions or need clarification please let us know!
More information will be posted as it becomes available. Please contact us if you have any questions!
Roads & Public Works
The Public Works Department is responsible for:
- Year-round maintenance and construction of over 270 kilometers of Township roads
- Year-round maintenance and installation of regulatory, warning and 911 signs throughout the municipality
Summer operations include:
- Maintenance of gravel roads (grading, applying dust suppressant and culvert maintenance and installation)
- Maintaining 90 km of hard-top roads (surface treatment, pothole filling and patching)
- Roadside maintenance (grass mowing, brushing and ditching)
Winter operations are mostly snowplowing and sanding in an ongoing effort to keep our six plow routes open and safe. Our routes are set up so that one complete cycle can be done within a five to six hour time period, with priority given to main roads and roads with major hills. Our road system of approximately 270 km doubles to 540 km when snowplowing both directions.
There are strict laws that govern hours of work and hours of driving time, so with limited staff resources, careful planning is required for handling each storm. Depending on the snow storm, higher traffic roads are generally plowed twice.
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Manager of Public Works
- Email: Harold Nelson
Warsaw Public Works Building
- 1422 County Road 4
- Phone: (705) 652-8402
After Hours – for Public Works Emergencies only
- (705) 761-0589
- (705) 749-7105
- (705) 652-6066