When do I need a Building Permit?
- For all new construction of any type or kind (e.g., commercial, residential, farm, industrial).
- For any additions to existing buildings no matter what the size.
- For open decks, porches, and pools.
- For all new or replacement solid fuel heating systems.
A Building Permit is not required for an accessory building 10 sq. metres (107 sq. ft.) in area or less unless this building is used for human habitation or has plumbing. (However, you must maintain the setback requirements for your Zoning.)
How do I obtain a Building Permit?
Submit a completed application along with building plans and a site plan showing compliance with the Official Plan, Zoning By-Laws, the Ontario Building Code and all other applicable laws for verification of compliance.
For inspections and inquiries contact:
- Chief Building Officer
- Phone: 705-652-8392 Ext. 208
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation
- Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Monday to Thursday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
*48 hours minimum notice required for scheduling an inspection.
*After hours: Please leave a message on the answering machine indicating where you can be reached during regular business hours.
Note: This information is general in nature and is not to be considered as the only requirements for permit issuance. There are a number of other aspects that must be considered including, but not limited to, the general provisions of the zoning by-laws, the specific zone provisions of the by-laws, the definition section of the by-laws as well as applicable law that is governed by agencies other than the municipality.